The deadly effects of homebrewed alcohol

[ SPANISH ]
At least 83 are dead following what began as a casual night of drinking — and it was locally brewed alcohol that was the culprit of the deaths.

Homebrewing is on the rise. In a June 2013 press release from the Brewers Association, it was cited that homebrewing sales in the U.S. increased anywhere from 26-29% from 2012 alone. The number was predicted to keep growing. The practice is generally considered safe, but that isn’t always the case in other countries.

The recent string of deaths comes from Kenya.

Consumption of homebrewed alcohol is popular in the country, where standardized alcohol can be too expensive for many. Officials have focused in on Nairobi, where it was believed that most of the consumption took place.

While conclusive testing has not yet been done, the specific cause of the deaths seems to have come from a single substance within the brew: methanol, a toxic substance used to boost the strength of the drink. Such alcohol is locally called “changaa” or “kumi kumi,” mostly made from illicit producers.

 A bill was passed in 2010 to regulate production of home brews, requiring that it be commercially bottled and sold only at licensed locations. But even if producers abide by the country’s rules, the plastic bottles that the liquor comes in can be “easily adulterated and injected with chemicals.”

This seems to have been the case in Kenya, where victims lost their sight, started seeing everything in blue — or lost their lives.

Three have been arrested on suspicion of adulterating the brew; additionally, several officers who had been in charge of policing the brewing and selling of illicit alcohol were fired.

“The percentage of methanol in alcohol when it is being brewed should be zero percent,” said James Macharia, health cabinet secretary. “We got samples of a few bottles from the outlets … which sold the liquor and tested them. We found a very high percentage of methanol from both areas [where the brews were sold]. It was 70 percent in Embu and 100 percent in Makueni.”

According to an Australian news report, some of the victims paid as little as 30 U.S. cents for the shot that landed them in the hospital.

“It is a disaster to lose such a high number of people,” said John Mututho, chief of Kenya’s National Authority for Campaign Against Alcohol and Drug Abuse. “It is something that could have been stopped.”

To learn about Neogen’s Alert® test kit for Methanol, click here

Los efectos mortales del alcohol artesanal

Hay al menos 83 muertos después  de una noche de bebidas casual – y fue el alcohol artesanal local que fue culpable por las muertes.

La elaboración de alcohol artesanal está aumentando. En un comunicado de prensa de Junio de 2013 de Brewers Association, se citó que las ventas de alcoholes artesanales en los Estados Unidos incremento alrededor de 26–29% desde el 2012. Este número se prevé que siga creciendo. La práctica se considera generalmente segura, pero este no siempre es el caso.

La serie de muertes recientes proviene de Kenia.

El consumo de alcohol artesanal es muy popular en el país, ya que el alcohol estándar puede ser demasiado costoso para muchos. Los funcionarios se han concentrado en Nairobi, donde se cree que la mayoría del consumo tomo lugar.

Aunque las pruebas concluyentes no se han realizado, la causa especifica de las muertes, parece haber provenido de una sustancia en el alcohol artesanal: el metanol, una sustancia toxica utilizada para aumentar la potencia de la bebida. Dicho alcohol se le llama “changaa” o “kumi kumi” localmente, la mayoría de los productores lo fabrican ilegalmente.

Un proyecto de ley fue aprobado en 2010 para regular la producción de alcohol artesanal, requiriendo que sea comercialmente embotellado, o vendido solamente en lugares autorizados. Pero asi los productores cumplan con las normas del país, las botellas plásticas que contienen el alcohol pueden ser “fácilmente adulteradas e inyectadas con químicos.”

Este parece haber sido el caso en Kenia, donde las victimas perdieron su vista, comenzaron a ver todo en azul – o perdieron su vida.

Tres han sido detenidos por su presunta implicación con la preparación del alcohol artesenal; además, dos oficiales se encontraron culpables por la fabricación y venta de alcohol artificial y fueron relevados de sus funciones.

“El porcentaje de metanol en el alcohol debe ser cero por ciento mientras está siendo elaborado”, dijo James Macharia secretario del gabinete de salud. “Obtuvimos muestras de unas cuantas botellas de los puntos de venta…que vendían el alcohol y realizamos pruebas en ellas. Encontramos un porcentaje de metanol muy alto en ambas áreas [donde se fabricó el alcohol]. Fue 70 por ciento en Embu y 100 por ciento en Makueni.

Según un informe de noticias de Australia, algunas de las victimas pagaron tan poquito como USD$0.30 treinta centavos para la bebida que los hizo terminar en el hospital.

“Es un desastre perder una cantidad tan grande de gente”, dijo John Mututho, jefe de la Autoridad Nacional de Kenia para la Campana Contra el Abuso de Alcohol y Drogas. “Es algo que puede haber sido detenido.”

Para obtener más información sobre el kit de prueba de Alert® de Neogen para metanol, haga clic aquí.

Comments are closed.